Open Access puglishing: BUA agreements
The publication of articles in open access (OA), in addition to significantly increasing their impact on the international academic community, is a requirement of some research funding agencies and a commitment to the universal dissemination of knowledge.
In this context, the University of Alicante has reached agreements with some publishers, most of them inside the national agreements signed with the CRUE. Through these agreements, members of the university and research community can access the subscribed journals and also publish in open access at no cost or with a discount on APC (Article Processing Charges) publication costs.
Requirements to publish:
- The corresponding author must be a researcher of the University of Alicante and to identify through the institutional email (@ ua.es; @ gcloud.ua.es)
To have an accepted primary research or review article available for publication since 2021 (the exact date and article type will depend on the publisher).
Select the "publish in open access" option.
- Sign the open access publication agreement, selecting (if you are allowed to) the type of Creative Commons license that you want to assign to your article.
- The article must be validated by the University Library (in the cases in which it is required), for the gratuity or discount in the APCs.
For this year, and due to the delay in the signing of the agreements, the free APCs of the articles that belong to publishers that limit their number will be validated by the BUA in order of arrival until the number of the granted ones are completed.
Publishers with agreements:
The UA researchers will have no cost for APCs, both whether they publish in a full or an hybrid open access journal of this publisher, with no limit in the number of APCs.
- Cambridge University Press (pdf) journals list where you can publish in open access.
- Journals listed by subject and impact.
- Step-by-step guide to Publishing Open Access in Cambridge journals
The agreement with Elsevier sets out these terms:
- The UA researchers who publish in hybrid journals will not pay the amount corresponding to the APCs. In this case, the publisher will stablish a specific number of free APCs.
- UA researchers who publish in open access journals (Full Open Access) will benefit from a 10% discount on the APC amount.
The UA researchers will have no cost for APCs when they publish in hybrid journals of this publisher, with a limited number of APCs.
UA researchers will have no cost for APCs when they publish research articles accepted from June 15 2021 in hybrid journals of this publisher, with a limited number of APCs.
The agreement with MDPI (Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute) is still valid. It offers the UA researchers a 10% discount on the publication rates of articles that have been accepted in any of its journals.
To request this discount they only need to identify themselves as members of the University of Alicante when they publish their articles in any of the MDPI journals.
Sponsoring Consortium for Open Access Publishing (SCOAP3) is a project in which more than 3,000 international libraries, consortia, research centers and scientific publishers such as IOP, Springer or Elsevier collaborate.
This agreement includes 10 key journals in the field of particle physics in which the UA researchers do not have to pay for the APC, so they can publish open access at no cost, an also retain the copyright on their publications. All the articles are published under CC-BY licenses.
The funds that the participating libraries dedicated to these subscriptions are now transferred to SCOAP3, in order to cover publication costs, and relieving the authors of this payement.